Well...that was a quick bust.

Posted by on | |
Last week, I decided I was going all out on Sunshine Stars. I'm sure you remember my my post about it.

So where should I start on how badly that idea went?

My mom got what she thought was strep throat on Friday, so I grabbed Micah and kept him as far away as possible. He had strep last year and that was enough for me, I didn't want him exposed to it again. Her doctor put her on antibiotics but told her he wasn't sure it was even strep, and did not feel the need to do a culture. Thanks, doc. So I spent the whole weekend lounging around the house with Micah, staying inside as it was way too cold to be out and about and watching a lot of cartoons. I got absolutely nothing done. It was nice, and I got a ridiculous amount of sweet toddler cuddles, but no progress on my shop at all.

Then yesterday at work, the water was unceremoniously shut off. From 8:30 on we did our best not to drink water, and finally they let us leave, because really. No water for that many hours was ridiculous. So I went straight home for a tall glass and some sewing. I wanted to make a baby circle skirt like Dana from MADE did for a friends baby, and I sat down really excited.

The first one I cut out, I cut wrong. I tried again, cut it right, and tried to hem the outer edge. If I had a serger, this part wouldn't have been a problem at all. But since I don't have one yet, I tried two different edging stitches - a modified zig-zag, and a regular zig-zag - and it just...didn't work. I'm not really sure what went wrong, but the modified one left frayed cotton sticking out, and the other bunched up the fabric. I tried everything, I even left the skirt and tried to make it work on scraps. No dice. At one point I had fought with it for so long, I put my head down on the table and tried to breath it out.

When a project nearly brings you to tears, that means it either isn't going to work, or you need to take a break. I opted for the latter, and tried again that night once I had calmed down. I would show you what it looked like, but...yeah. It's really bad. It's almost as bad as the Epic Fail Suit I just couldn't bring myself to post photos of, either.

Since the circle skirt was going to be my main product for Sunshine Stars...I'm now stuck and feeling sad. I am behind a week on my To-Do list I started for my shop, and I just barely got started. All I have is a ton of supplies, and no products. Maybe I need to sit on this idea for awhile, after all...

0 comments:

Post a Comment