Strep, laundry and dishes piled high

Posted by on | |
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.


-Song for a Fifth Child
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton


Is it terrible to admit that I completely forgot about this blog for the last week? Awful, but true. Life sometimes gets in the way. I have both sides of my sink full of dishes and at least three loads of laundry waiting for me tomorrow. Lovely.

A little over a week ago I had an extremely sick baby with a fever that reached a high of 107.2. I know, I didn't even know that was possible! It came along with one episode of projectile vomit and a very disoriented baby that I'm pretty sure was delirious and couldn't see me even though I was right in front of him. A rushed trip to the ER did nothing, though the Motrin they gave him worked wonders until we could get to his pediatrician the following day. She diagnosed him with strep, and one shot in the thigh and he was getting better. The last few days of this week has seen a return to the happy baby I am much more used to. I missed him. And he can finally sleep again.



I never get tired of photographing this baby with his eyes closed. Best lashes ever.

Since it is January (mid-January at that - where is the time going?!), I realized my son's birthday is coming up in April and I suddenly feel like I am short on time. How did this year go by so fast? He cannot possibly be two already. I suddenly feel old.

So I've started researching what I want to do for his birthday. It will be like last year, very low-key and probably just family and a few close friends. But unlike last year I want to make proper birthday invites and decorations, and I really want to make at least one of his gifts. Why, hello Pinterest! It's been all of five minutes since I last saw you!

I seriously love these invites. And so easy too!


El Rey (as my mom calls him) will certainly have his own crown.


I just love these. My Dad has Superman pants and shirts he wears all the time and Micah always points at the symbols. I don't think I could make these myself though...I have no idea how to work fondant. I'm sure I could find someone to help though!


And this is what I would like to make for him. One of my favorite Etsy shop owners made this for her twin boys and it is just to die for. She took the time and thought to include her own house, grandma's house, her husband's workplace and other key locations the boys were familiar with. It's an amazing, heartfelt gift that the boys will likely enjoy for many years to come, and this is exactly what I want to give to my Micah.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH no, that's horrible about the strep! Poor little guy, and I wow, what a high fever! Hope he's all better now. Love your ideas for the party you pulled off Pinterest. I just recently joined and am loving it so far!! :)

A new follower! Please feel free to stop by my blog and follow back if you like!

www.yeewittlethings.blogspot.com

momto8 said...

ouch! that much have been a very scary situation! glad he is on the mend!!
I am your newest follower..pls follow bcd if you can!

Post a Comment